Could you be more specific about how current search is working?
When you say "over tens of millions..."
    are you doing a SELECT with operators = or <>
   or are you doing SELECT with operator "like"
There is a huge difference in performance.
Are you returning a set of a few records or perhaps thousands.
Are you returning page at a time or all at once.
I do have a web search over 5 - 7 million records, with all of the above.
The exact match operators are very fast, even with 20 simultaneous searches
on a low end i5 with 2 gig memory. It was getting slow on the previous S10
at 73 cpw.
When someone does a "like" search, I do require at least one  "=" selection
and
 first in statement - Select * from ABC where County='BR' and NAME like
'%FRED %'
instead of Select * from ABC where NAME like '%FRED %'
(this site has millions of construction jobs in Florida).
When someone does a very generic search, we return the first 1000 with a msg
to be more specific.   This is all in SQLRPGLE.
btw - the database engine at v4r3 much slower than current v5r3. many
improvements..
I think the i5 cost them $40k  with enough disk to be at 40% utilization.
I did spend some time analizing access paths and it paid off.
jim