At 07:44 AM 6/7/2005, you wrote:
-snip-

I don't think any of us are asking for the ability to READ/CHAIN to another RDBMS...though that would be nice ;-)

What we want to be able to do is use SQL, including SQL embedded in RPG, to access data on a remote machine. More specifically, what I want is to be able to do a CREATE ALIAS MYTABLE for REMOTE/SCHEMA/TABLE and be able to use it in a SQL statement as if it was a local table.

As Rob has pointed out, our RPG2SQL does not use embedded SQL. It is, however, similar to using CLI (common language interface), which is the iSeries equivalent of the open standard that MS calls ODBC. And with our product you can do exactly what you want - CREATE a table and use it as you want - read, write, etc.
-snip-

What's funny is that the iSeries actually can provide "local" access to remote data...but only if you're using native RPG I/O via DDM files.

Not completely true - if you define the remote iSeries with WRKRDBDIRE, you CONNECT TO and then all your embedded SQL runs against that system - DDM is involved under the covers, but that is just implementation. No DDM files involved - at least none that you need to define.

The issue of DUW still applies, and that is a problem, I agree. Now, does ODBC or OLE/DB allow distributed units of work, or whatever equivalent term would be used?

> When IBM saw what Java was doing for the IT community, they were quick
> to realize that by leveraging Java and writing a damned good JVM that
> they would also enable the iSeries to access the great wealth of
> multi-platform code that was being written.  And once you learn Java,
> the only thing you CANNOT access is a vendor who maliciously works to
> thwart Java access.  And even Bill Gates can't do that... SQL Server
> finally released a Type 4 JDBC driver that allows ANY machine
> with a JVM
> to access SQL data.

I think IBM missed an opportunity.

Besides adding support of the "higher level of DRDA" that would DB2 on the iSeries to access multiple servers at once; IBM should have added a DRDA AR-->JDBC bridge.

So you could load that vendor provided JDBC driver; define the remote server to DB2 and access the remote tables (using SQL) as if they were local from your iSeries applications.

I'm obviously listening to this thread and thinking - I think we have an excellent product for handling some of these concerns, and am looking for ways to make it better and more useful - hence more sellable, eh? ;-)
-snip-