I don't think any of us are asking for the ability to READ/CHAIN to another
RDBMS...though that would be nice ;-)

What we want to be able to do is use SQL, including SQL embedded in RPG, to
access data on a remote machine.  More specifically, what I want is to be able
to do a CREATE ALIAS MYTABLE for REMOTE/SCHEMA/TABLE and be able to use it in a
SQL statement as if it was a local table.

> The primary reason for this is NOT because of IBM: it's because most
> non-IBM databases don't support open standards like DRDA and instead
> require vendor-written, platform-specific interfaces, and none of them
> write interfaces for the iSeries.

Actually, Oracle does.  Their Access Manager for AS/400 product installs on the
iSeries and allows access to a remote Oracle database using the standard
CONNECT TO statement in SQL.

>From what I understand, it is basically a DRDA Application Requestor (AR) that
>converts the DRDA request into Oracle's protocol.

Still, the Oracle RDBMS doesn't actually support the server side (AS) of the
open DRDA protocol.

> However, there is a way around this... it's called Java.  Yes indeed,
> Java can access SQL (and a number of other databases besides!).  And
> it's on your iSeries today!  And once you learn enough Java
> to access a
> remote database, you'll find that you can also use it to do other
> things, like send mail or create PDF documents and access web services
> and hosts of other things.

Sure Java provides a way for iSeries applications to access data on remote
systems.

But that is not the same as providing the RDBMS a way to access remote systems
directly.  Thus allowing your application to be written as if all the data was
local no matter where it was.  This is the functionality that every other RDBMS
out there has.

What's funny is that the iSeries actually can provide "local" access to remote
data...but only if you're using native RPG I/O via DDM files.

> When IBM saw what Java was doing for the IT community, they were quick
> to realize that by leveraging Java and writing a damned good JVM that
> they would also enable the iSeries to access the great wealth of
> multi-platform code that was being written.  And once you learn Java,
> the only thing you CANNOT access is a vendor who maliciously works to
> thwart Java access.  And even Bill Gates can't do that... SQL Server
> finally released a Type 4 JDBC driver that allows ANY machine
> with a JVM
> to access SQL data.

I think IBM missed an opportunity.

Besides adding support of the "higher level of DRDA" that would DB2 on the
iSeries to access multiple servers at once; IBM should have added a DRDA
AR-->JDBC bridge.

So you could load that vendor provided JDBC driver; define the remote server to
DB2 and access the remote tables (using SQL) as if they were local from your
iSeries applications.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343