Sorry...started musing rather than answering the question...typical.

I didn't know about the Citrix limitation but it has been a while since we had Citrix running.

We have a web based solution, which requires the launching of applets. Managing JVM's on the client side can be a hassle so we looked at way we could deploy a "simple standard desktop" to the client. The best approach is to have a centrally managed, uniform client environment deployed that supports multiple OS's (like Windows XXXX, Linux and Mac's). That starts to sound like Citrix. But Citrix, for all of it's benefits, ain't cheap and requires a pretty heavy hardware investment. What I wanted to do is to use something I already had, didn't have to invest in any more hardware. If I could add a Linux partition using my existing hardware, with no additional investment, I'd look at Linux.

PASE got me to that point quickly. Yeah, it isn't exactly snappy and X-Windows can be ugly but it can be centrally administered, it is iSeries based and, it works. Just at the prototype stage though. YMMV.

Pete Helgren

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Lot of pearls there Pete.

The virtual lan capability cannot be used on the Citrix servers. Some strange incompatibility. Therefore you lose that big boost of performance that data integration between IXS data and OS/400 data would benefit from. Net people still like it on the IXS cards though. We've done some saves, restores, and total unload/reloads and they think the IXS ain't bad.

I'm not impressed with PASE. What benefit is there to running the application you mentioned in PASE versus a linux partition or some other dedicated box? I don't see any data integration. What soured me on PASE was the PASE based version of TSM. Apparently the PASE tape API's are only capable of driving our 3582's at 1/3rd the speed of native OS/400 commands. And IBM flat out says it's the tape pase api's. So bad they've abandoned any OS/400 based, (pase or otherwise) version of TSM and suggest you throw up a Linux partition.