Pete,
For java applications, you can use RAWT which does not require PASE.
The concept is similar to X, where the workstation runs an X server and wait
for the display to come from the X terminal.
Here, the workstation runs a RAWT server and waits for the display to come from
a remote Java program.

1. Retrieve the RAWTGui.jar file from the iSeries Java folder and place it on
the workstation.
2. Start the RAWT server on the workstation: java -jar RAWTGui.jar
3. Start the Java application on the iSeries with some specific attributes:

In this example, the Java class to be invoked is AWTExample.class,
the workstation IP is 10.0.0.31.

( get the example from
http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Programming/java/swing/AWTExample.html )

PGM

dcl &CP         *char   512
chgvar &CP ('+
             /samplefolder:.+
             :/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk13+
             ')

RUNJVA     CLASS('AWTExample')                      +
           PROP(                                +
                ('RmtAwtServer' '10.0.0.31')   +
                ('os400.class.path.rawt'   '1')   +
                ('java.version'  '1.3')        ) +
           CLASSPATH(&CP)                       +
              OUTPUT(* *continue)
endpgm

For a jar file, like TN5250j, you have to run CRTJVAPGM first,
or use Qshell like this:

java -classpath /tn5250j:/QIBM/ProdData/Java400/jdk13 DRmtAwtServer=10.0.0.31
Dos400.class.path.rawt=1 Djava.version=1.3 -jar tn5250j.jar

In this case, the result is that the workstation displays the TN5250j screen,
but the emulation actually runs on the iSeries.

Search Infocenter for more about RAWT.

Shalom Carmel
www.venera.com - Exposing iSeries insecurity