From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alan C
Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 1:21 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: iSeries Voice Over IP

I've been working where we put in VOIP some years ago. For the
technology programming, i.e. the parts that make it work, I think it's
hard to beat a dedicated IP-enabled "voice server" (I guess you could
call the replacement for PBX systems), that supports the voicemail and
the phone lines and all that, connecting to a router that communicates
with routers and similar phone systems on the other end.

At the central office, we had a dedicated router for voice, another for
data, and they broke up the IP packets for each branch. There was 56K
dedicated for each branch, and the traffic split between dedicated 28K
for voice, 28K for data.

Putting the AS400 in the middle would've put it "in the way".

On the other end, the router split the traffic back out. (This handled
by outside support for configuring those routers in this case).  The
voice had about 26K dedicated for each branch (one maybe two max calls
at a time).

The AT&T tech who set up the phones said they now call the phones on
your desk "voice terminals".

I think it would be useful to have better interfacing, or technical
software packages or IP-enabled API's, for feeding usage data to the
iSeries system for supervisory and accouting use. After all, they're
talking about putting IP into everything, airborne dust specks included.

-- Alan