I called IBM software support and, even though I dont have a support
contract, they actually took my call!

The iSeries support fellow said that the "N" at the end of my error
message - SQL8002N - means that the failure is taking place on the PC
and not the 400.   He says contrary to the error message text, there
is no license product problem because RDB is part of the base system.

Waiting for a callback from the db2 support team ....

-Steve