From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 7:46 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: IFS Performance

I find that IFS performance can be abysmal - and not too good at that! I was
at a place that was using ACT! for CRM, the version with its own database -
latest uses a bundled SQL Server, so cannot be put on an iSeries at all.
Anyway, I put the data files on a 270. We had *TYPE2 on all the IFS
(non-library, i.e.). It was a dog. When we moved the files to a Win2K Pro
box, it flew - and it was around 1 GHz processor.

So I think there is a basic flaw performance-wise in the IFS. I have no idea
why - *TYPE2 was supposed to help, but it is not enough for me to recommend
iSeries as a file server in a high-demand situation.