> I find that IFS performance can be abysmal - and not
> too good at that!

Just to test this, I copied 9 PDF files, totaling 32 Megabytes, from an IFS
directory to my workstation directory, which took 50 seconds using
Netserver, and 40 seconds using FTP.  I then copied the same files from my
PC to another PC on the LAN using Windows Explorer, which took only 4
seconds.  The three (3) boxes are on the same LAN.

One thing that confused me was that during the 50 seconds required to copy
using Netserver, the Netserver job only consumed 1.5 seconds of CPU time,
but the WRKACTJOB screen was reporting about 50% CPU busy during the test.
The Netserver job and my 5250 session were the only two (2) jobs reporting
CPU usage during the test.  I don't know how to account for the server being
busy at 50%, unless it was running jobs that weren't being individually
tracked on the WRKACTJOB screen.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the AS/400 performance as a "file server"
seems to be abysmal, when compared to a PC.  FTP seems to be a bit faster
than Netserver.

HTH,

Nathan.