From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Bailey
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 3:55 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Novice AS400

Hi Peter and Scott,

Thanx for your suggestions.
I have tested all of your comments and made a few changes still to no avail.
Here are notes regarding both of you suggestions

I should have said that this machine is NOT directly connected to the
internet. It is connected to my network. 192.168.1.1 in a Linux box the
internet server and manages mydomain.com.au.

I had mydomain.com.au as the domain name on the AS400 with Host name search
priority set to *REMOTE and Internet address set to the address of my
mydomain.com.au on the internet. I suspected that this would probably
conflict with itself so on the AS400 I have set the following...

Hostname     'HO400M'
Domainname   'MYDOMAIN.AS400'
Domain Search   *DFT
Host name search        *LOCAL
Internet address        *NONE

In the host table entries I have the following

127.0.0.1               LOOPBACK
                        LOCALHOST
192.168.1.1             GENIUS          (the Linux box and outside world)
192.168.1.2             MERLIN          (Windows XP Pro machine)
192.168.1.99    HO400M
                        HO400M.MYDOMAIN.AS400

On the Windows machine in the hosts file I have
127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.1.99    HO400M.MYDOMAIN.AS400 HO400M
192.168.1.1             genius

I can successfully CWBPING the AS400 with the host name , qualified host
name and the IP address.

The above was unsuccessful.

Regards,
Mark