If you can get to a command line through the console. You need to issue two
commands. STRTCPSVR *ALL and STRHOSTSVR *ALL.

Let us know what happens after that.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             <mbailey@xxxxxxxx
             t.au>
             midrange-l-bounce         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/20/2005 09:43          Novice AS400
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Hi,

I have recently purchased a second hand AS400 do use as an

experimental development machine using Magic.

I am a complete novice when in comes to this machine and this is the

first time I had ever actually laid a hand on one.

Very exciting learning curve. I have poured over Red Books and the net

and slowly making headway. I suppose I should do a course but the cost
would

be way out of my league.

Anyway,

I have come up against a problem and I am now at a loss.

The machine is a 170 / 2290 running V5R1.

After a lot of experimentation, reading, purchase of book (from the USA as
could not find on

here in Perth) etc I am stumped.

I am trying to get the Operations Navigator working.

I have worked through numerous problems wit respect to TCP/IP, hosts just
be able to ping into

and out of the machine. Finally got all that working.

I initially was running QCTL and although I could ping in and out I could
not get a screen displayed

when using Personal Communications AS/400 Client Access Express for
Windows.
Also, I could not

get a screen displayed when telneting into the machine.

I was suggest that I should try QBase instead of QCTL.. This solved the
problem to a point.

I can now happily telnet into the machine and actually get a screen to work
with.

I can use the client terminal Personal Communications AS/400 Client Access
Express for Windows

and get a screen to work with and that all seems fine.

However, there is still a problem with the Operations Navigator.

If I Verify Connection. on the My Connections server name everything
verifies ok.

But when I click on Management Central, it tries to connect but then gives
the following error.

"Unable to complete the connection to central system
"myservername.mydomainname.com.au"

I have MGTC started

I have the host file on the Win machine ok and host in the AS400
configured.

I can expand the server branch on the Operations Navigator tree but it only
displays Basic Operations.

I don't suppose anyone might be able to suggest (speak slowly please step
by
step and assume I am a child ;- ) )

any ideas of what might be the problem and how to fix this please

Kind Regards

Mark Bailey

Cheers,
Mark Bailey