Here's what I have found:

1.)  Perm Applying PTF's removes these save files (Of course they go to QRPLOBJ
temporarily, so they don't immediately save the space.)

2.)  PTF's in superceded status leave some "orphaned" save files.

3.)  Maybe that is why I have leftovers from 5722SS1 V5R1 and 5769SS1 V4R5.
(Found half a dozen so far)

As you would expect there are just a few of these taking up most of the space.
Out of the 63 save files (883 MB) in QSYSDIR the top five added up to 464 MB,
the top ten added up to 685 MB.  There are another 70 or so in other libraries
but most of these are less than 10 MB.  QSI14960J1 (in QJAVA) was 289 MB and
QSI13629J1 was 156 MB.

On our Prod system I have enough space so that this is not really an issue, and
I probably wouldn't have noticed this even on the Test system except that I was
cleaning up after a Domino incremental upgrade and found some things that were
getting missed.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator