Now that I have been using BRMS a week or so, I really like it.  And I
discovered yesterday that I now know enough to be dangerous.

All the tapes showed a location of *HOME.  I didn't like that (being
anal-retentive and all).  Two of the tapes are stored at 2 different offsite
locations and the rest are stored in a data safe in the computer room.  So I
decided to set up some locations and move policies.  The result was the
control group CHANGES wouldn't run yesterday afternoon, even though it's
been running for a week.  It said the tape volume TUE001 that was in the
drive could not be used.  I had to open a supportline call and while
waiting, figured it had to be the move policies I had put in.  I removed
those and by the time the guy came on the line I had the control group
running.  Supportline said yes it was the move policies.  The fact the tape
was physically in the drive was immaterial, it had to "logically" be in the
drive (ie, BRMS had to "think" it was there).  The end of the move policy
had to put the tape back into the drive.  The redbook examples were not very
detailed nor extensive nor explained well.

What I want to happen with the onsite tapes is 1) They get used for backup,
2) then go in the data safe for a week, and 3) then get used for backup
again.  I set up a move policy NORMAL for this that look like this:

 Move policy  . . . . . . . . . :  NORMAL

 Home location  . . . . . . . . .  *ORIGIN
 Use container  . . . . . . . . .  *NO
 Verify moves . . . . . . . . . .  *NO
 Calendar for working days  . . .  *ALLDAYS
 Calendar for move days . . . . .  *ALLDAYS
 Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Normal computer room storage

 Type choices, press Enter.

   Seq    Location      Duration

    10    DATASAFE      6
    20    *HOME         *EXP

And I set up one for the tape stored at my house like this:

Move policy  . . . . . . . . . :  JEFF
Home location  . . . . . . . . .  *ORIGIN
Use container  . . . . . . . . .  *NO          *YES, *NO
Verify moves . . . . . . . . . .  *NO          *YES, *NO
Calendar for working days  . . .  *ALLDAYS     Name, *ALL
Calendar for move days . . . . .  *ALLDAYS     Name, *ALL
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Offsite at Jeff's house

Type choices, press Enter.

  Seq    Location      Duration

   10    JLCHOUSE      6
   20    *HOME         *EXP

Am I on the right track?  Location *HOME shows both TAP01 and TAP02.  And by
doing move policies, am I opening up other issues like I need to run some
kind of move report every day?  What are best practices?  Move manually or
have the system do it somehow?  I basically want it hands off, but the
operator should know what tape to load what day.

(Oh, and the other issue is I want to change from using the tape devices
TAP01 and TAP02 to using the tape libraries TAPMLB01 and TAPMLB02.  I
thought the move policies would be an easier thing to tackle, but should I
do the MLB switcheroo first?)

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.