Anyone's job can be threatened if the decision makers' egos are heavily invested and they "can't handle the truth", to quote Jack Nicholson. I worked at a place where a higher-up was and is completely anti-iSeries - still not sure why. He "decided" that the order entry app had to go to a Windows environment - not even browser at that time. A manager-type with much longevity at the company merely told him the truth - that it took much longer to do the job in the Windows app. She was effectively fired almost immediately - I was there when it happened - although she was picked up immediately by another department. I mean, do you throw away 15 years experience over this issue? I guess so. And you call it reorganization. Hah!!

I guess I really don't understand this kind of thing.

Vern

At 06:45 PM 12/29/2004, you wrote:
 >> So, even though I KNOW it's wrong to go that way, I can't think of how
to make my point.  How would YOU tell them?

You have to start by accepting that reason is not going to do it.  If it
were, you'd have already convinced them.

Couple of thoughts - How good is your relationship with the end-users?
Since there jobs are not threatened by the change then they may be taken
more seriously.  _They_ should be the ones raising issues such as "will we
have search capability ....."

Another option would be to try to convert one of your existing subfile apps
to use the web.  Both ProGen and RPGsp (or is it RSP?) now offer tools that
will do part/most of the conversion for you.  That should demonstrate a
definite cost saving.  I think ASNA also have a similar tool, and that has
the added advantage that it is a .Net product.  Perhaps demonstrating that
you can use existing code _and_ participate in .Net would be an easier sell.

Beyond that - if someone high up the tree has decided to go that way
regardless of logic - then it may be time to learn a little about .NET !!

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com

-- This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.