From: Richard Allen [mailto:rallen@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 1:03 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Setting up S/400 for outgoing email only

Hello,

I have searched the archives, the web and IBM and have found bits of
information here and there but eventually all these bits of information have
led to totally confusing me. First of all I am not very knowledgeable in the
Host Name and DNS area. I am trying to configure an AS400 to send email to
an in house exchange server. I think I have everything defined correctly but
when I start the TCP server *SMTP it does not start and I get an error (in
the joblog) Cannot resolve Host Name information (or something close to
that) I think the problem I have is in entering the Host name (the more I
read the more confused I get) I know there are only about 4 or 5 steps to do
(and I have done it in the past) Can someone explain the steps in
"simpleton" terms.

I have done the following:
1) I have the IP address (internal) and the host name of the SMTP mail
server. (someone gave these to me so I assume they are correct) I can ping
them successfully
2) I added a Host Table entry for the IP address and the Host name for the
SMTP server.
3) I did CHGSMTPA MAILROUTER(the host name from step 2) AUTISTART(*YES)
FIREWALL(*YES)
4) I added a directory entry for INTERNET SMTPRTE SYSNAME(INTERNET)
PREFADR(NETUSRID *IBM ATCONTXT)
5) I added a directory entry for myself and used F19 to Change name for SMTP
If my email address is ALLEN@xxxxxxxxxxxx On this screen I enter the first
part of my email address ALLEN and for the SMTP domain I enter the last part
of me email address tgsdcorp.com (I believe this is only used for my return
email address correct?)
6) Then I execute the CHGDSTA SMTPRTE(INTERNET SMTPRTE)
7) During this process I also looked at our TCP/IP Domain information
(CHGTCPDMN) and I am not sure what this should be (maybe I should stop
looking at stuff) The Host name here is our AS400 serial number and the
domain name is our corporate domain name .

Can anyone explain what I may have done wrong (in simple terms) The more I
look at these parameters the more confusing it sounds. When I did this in
the past I just followed the steps and it worked the first time.

Thanks in advance for bearing with me on this.

Allen