I  wrote:
. . .
>> I didn't change a damned thing, didn't reseat anything, didn't rewire
>> the console line, didn't even blow off any dust, but this time, it
>> started up as if nothing were wrong. DST showed all 6 drives . . . working
>> fine, including one that I'd tagged, years ago, as a potential trouble
source.
. . .

It's still up. I haven't tried re-IPLing it since it came up from the
manual IPL, but it's acting as if all 3 mirrored pairs are working fine
(and if the load source had died, both sides of that mirrored pair would
have had to die to keep it from IPLing!

It is showing some odd messages in the QSYSOPR *MSGQ:

"LIC problem data has been logged for #MSUTIL. Refer to help text for
additional information."

"Software problem for QSWCDSEL has been logged. Refer to help text for
additional information."

Any of these suggest a possible explanation? Or are they just things
trying to access network connections that don't currently exist?

--
JHHL