From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 12/10/2003 11:38:49 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How do I find the length of a field that is externally defined?

Booth wrote:

> When I write a subfile record I generally include a hidden field which
> contains an image of the record from the disk file.  This proves useful
for
> refreshing the screen, checking for changes at another work station, and
> prevents the need for another chain to the record if the user chooses to
> work with the data.

Neat technique, Booth!  I don't know of a way to tell DDS that you want a
single character field sized the same as an entire external PF/LF record.  I
guess I'd just DSPFD the PF/LF and find the record length if it were only a
handful.  If I were doing a bunch of these things, I'd write some sort of
macro and then run the source through a pre-processor (that I would also
write.)  Of course this predicates sending your pre-processor to every
customer you do work for...
  --buck