 >> I think that there's more here than Jon's analogy, not to say he's not
right, but I'd imagine there's more to this than just the services end of
it.

Well the topic was why are IBM not advertising the iSeries.  I was pointing
out that they make more money off services to other boxes than they do off
iSeries.  No amount of advertising will shift enough boxes to make a
difference.

Joe made the valid point that they are not doing the customer any favors.
Spot on.  But they don't have a lot of choice.  All )or most) of the market
influencers are connected with selling services.  Even if IBM "sees the
light" and only pushes customers to the "right" solution that won't stop all
the others.  So they'd be swimming upstream.  Services, like it or not, are
the future for now.  Why do you think MS is trying to break into services
big time.  Why is HP emphasizing that side of the business?  You can't make
money with iron any more - and we - by demanding lower and lower prices have
caused that situation.  Just as we are not willing to pay an economic price
for food (and subsidize our farmers thus depriving 3rd world farmers of a
living) so we demand lower hardware costs.  Where to make money - services!!

The iSeries is the right box for so many people - but I fear that convincing
the market of that is beyond the resources even of IBM.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com