This is a copy of the note I just sent to the editors.  I have removed one
piece (which "proved" one of my comments - but which can't be published).
Will let you know if/how they respond.

HSBC is still running iSeries in Hong Kong, Vancouver and in the UK to name
a few locations.  Undoubtedly some parts of the company - those addicted to
"Management by Airline Magazine" - will try to remove the iSeries from the
organization.  They will in all probability join the many hundreds of others
who have failed to deliver what they promised their shareholders.  It really
saddens me that reputable magazines such as yours continue to publish these
kinds of statements but apparently never go back to check if it really
happened.  I know of many cases where such attempts have failed miserably,
with shareholders unwittingly footing the bill for millions of dollars.  One
friend is currently involved in a conversion of an iSeries to Oracle.  They
have already doubled the hardware/software spend that the move was estimated
to require (thus already wiping out the so-called "savings") and _still_
cannot get performance even approaching the "old fashioned" iSeries box.
Current estimates are for a further doubling of the hardware with no
guarantees.  They will still make the move though - despite the fact that it
will cost shareholders millions and offer a negative return.  A few such
customers have been brave enough to bite the bullet and revert to the
iSeries - but without the fanfare with which they announced their
departure!!

Since the quote came from a CEO one would assume that he knows what he is
talking about.  Since he clearly doesn't one can only hope that your
reporter mis-quoted him.  Apart for the detail of the iSeries hardware issue
the statement is false on a number of other issues.  For a start (piece
removed), I know for a fact that they are not dumping RPG as a development
language.  Rather they are taking the sensible approach and blending it with
Java where it makes sense.  Secondly, the notion that Tata and the other
Indian off-shore vendors "won't do RPG" is just too funny for words.  Visit
any RPG oriented list (e.g. that hosted at www.midrange.com or the Yahoo
list hosted by www.RPGIV.com) and you will find hundreds of questions from
programmers in India.  In fact many of the US based incumbents have on
occasion refused to answer such beginner questions from the very folks who
are taking their jobs.

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com