Narayanan,

I am also more of a lurker than a poster here myself.  I don't typically ask
many questions.

When I said YOU, I mean the people who are posting these questions.  Sorry
if I offended *you*, but my statement was not directed specifically toward
you, and I'm sorry you thought otherwise.  I have seen your postings here
and I appreciate your contributions to this list.  After reading others'
opinions of my original post, I realized that I made a mistake by even
sending it.  I apologize for my lack of sensitivity here.

I certainly don't want to discourage people from asking newbie questions.  I
just get so frustrated when I see so many of them coming from offshore,
given the current state of American IT jobs (or lack thereof), and sometimes
I just have to vent my feelings.  Next time I'll just compose a message and
send it to a couple of my friends who share my view of this situation
insteading sending it to the list.  This way I can get it off my chest
without pi$$ing off anyone on the list.

The point I was really trying to make was about those who feel that they can
just come here and ask a dumb or open-ended question before first doing
their homework.  This is probably the third or fourth time that I have
vented about this topic.  Too often I have just answered these questions
when I should have posted a link for them to search and some hints so they
can find the answer to their own question.

I guess you have heard the saying:
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, Teach him how to fish and you
feed him for a lifetime."

Maybe I should just point out that he should have asked a more specific
question, instead of such an ambiguous question as:

 "How to find out the main memory capacity of an AS/400 box?
Any commands?"

This question could have multiple meanings (and some people don't
distinguish memory from disk storage):

1) How much memory (physically) can you put in an AS/400?
2) How much memory does my AS/400 currently contain?
3) How much auxiliary storage (physically) does my AS/400 contain?
4) How much auxiliary storage does my AS/400 currently contain?

These questions could also lead to the following questions, such as:
1) What model of AS/400 or iSeries system do you have?
2) What type of processor does your system have?
3) What sizes of memory sticks does your system have in it currently?
4)  Do you have an expansion chassis for your system?

and so on.

When I ask a question, I usually try to be very specific about my problem.

See my recent question here:

When I found the answer to my own question (after a couple of hours of
searching and testing), I posted posted it here:

Have a nice day

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935