>"Narayanan R Pillai" wrote:
> Talk about double standards. This "Can I use a Linksys router to connect
my
> AS/400 to the Internet?"  is not a newbie question,  But "How to find out
> main memory capacity" is and has to be derided. This is so bloody
> transparent.

Narayanan:

_I_ can choose whether or not I wish to help you or anyone else.  I have
been accused of being racist for this attitude.  I'm not racist.  Nothing
against you personally, but I'm not necessarily inclined to want to help
someone who might next take away my career and way of life.

If you guys from India or wherever you are are such great programmers, why
aren't you posting _answers_ to other people's AS/400 and iSeries questions
in this forum?  More often than not I see _questions_ from offshore people,
_not_ answers.  Seldom do I see one of you guys supply a _solution_ or an
_answer_ to others' postings.

These forums are not simply for your education.  Many times I have spent
HOURS researching issues _before_ I make a posting here.

So the bottom line is this:
1) Do your research (try the IBM Infocenter or Google) before asking a
newbie question.
2) I'm not inclined to help you until you first help yourself by getting
some basic training on OS/400, RPG, or whatever (see #1).
3) When you start helping _me_ or others on this list, I'll be more inclined
to start helping _you_.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935

PS:  In 1999 I had to go to Chicago on a emergency project to help with a
conversion for a client.   They tried to save money by hiring an Indian
consultant (whom they didn't know was a complete newbie on the AS/400) for
$65.00 per hour.  He spent six months writing code to convert the Wang data
from flat files into the JDE system, then all of a sudden he had to go home
for two months to get married.  In a pinch, they brought me in to finish the
project.

When I looked at the code he wrote, I realized that this guy had never
programmed in an AS/400 environment before.  I  had to almost completely
rewrite the code that he wrote.  He didn't understand that CHAIN is used to
randomly retrieve data from files...he was using READs (without SETLL) to
attempt to retrieve data like Item Master records randomly.  I spent 3
months rewriting the code he had written.  If they had hired me initially,
even though my rate was twice his, it would have been completed on time and
within budget.  As it is, they had to pay for it TWICE.