Update on my problem (and thanks for the hints, Pete, since I ultimately
fixed this problem myself):

This problem is documented on IBM's web site.

I went to <http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/access/>
and searched for 1313, and found this:

APAR#:SE10619
Component:5722XE100 - IBM ISERIES CLIENT ACCESS EXP
Release(s):R520, R510

Abstract
CA400EXP-INRMTCMD MSG1313 IRC DAEMON SERVICE DOES NOT START

Error Description
After installing Microsoft HotFix 811493 on Windows XP, the
incoming remote command (IRC) daemon does not start.  The
service will report a message, "Error 1313:  A specified
privilege does not exist."  Analysis reveales that the HotFix
causes this system service to get a new privilege when running
on Windows XP.  The attempt to retrieve the name of this new
privilege fails with the message that the privilege doesn't
exist, presumably the HotFix didn't update all of the associated
programs thus was causing this failure.

The problem does not appear to happen with the equivalent fix
for Windows 2000.

...more

Link to full text of the APAR:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A5F334495

The way I read it, there is only a PTF for V5R2 CAE to fix this problem.

Rather than hassle with IBM over this, and being the tenacious person
that I am, I solved the problem myself by creating a new windows profile
on my computer named CAESERVICE as a member of the
ADMINISTRATORS group and changed the Client Access Express
Remote Command service to logon using this new profile.

Also, before this service would successfully start using the new
CAESERVICE profile, I also had to go into the Local Security Policy
settings and give the CAESERVICE user profile the following privileges
under Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment:

Act as part of the operating system
Create a token object
Create permanent shared objects
Increase scheduling priority
Log on as a batch job
Log on as a service
Log on locally
Replace a process level token

I haven't verified that it really needs _all_ of these privileges,
but at least the service will now start up.  When I have some
spare time <lol>, I'll probably go back and remove them
one-by-one and try restarting the service until I determine the
minimum privileges needed.

Steve Landess
Austin, Texas
(512) 423-0935