<rant>
Huh, the big fish makes the rules. We have to bend to 'NON-STANDARD' EDI
standards all the time. We change nothing on documents that we've been
sending for years, and all of the sudden, WHAM, the invoice gets rejected.
And guess what, because the Customer's Always Right, we buckle and fix it.
Until EDI standards are enforced by a third party, the more powerful of the
two partners are gonna continue making their own rules and there isn't
anything we little fish can do about it.
</rant>

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

                    Mike.Crump@xxxxxxxxxx

                    in.com                       To:     Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                     cc:

                    midrange-l-bounces@xx        Subject:     Rather
aggravating EDI/FTP question

                    drange.com

                    08/14/2003 10:47 AM

                    Please respond to

                    Midrange Systems

                    Technical Discussion

I've got a vendor that we are FTP'ing our EDI transactions with.  We've
been working for a while until recently where they claim we've changed
what structure the file we are sending is.

Basically, we are sending our data in 80 character fixed length.  They
claim that in prior testing we were sending one record per EDI segment.
We've done some checking and think that it would have been impossible for
us to change the record format and we even suspect that their early
testing may have been done off of data we were emailing and not the FTP
files as claimed.  As you can tell we may not have the best relationship
with this vendor.

They claim that the fixed length record isn't 'EDI standard' and our
vendor says it is.......to protect the innocent I'm leaving names out.  I
can change how we send the data but with this vendor I want to make sure I
know what is what.

Is it normal for people to send their data in fixed length records or is
it one record per segment?  And is the term EDI standard really mean it
one or the other is a defacto standard?

Michael Crump
Saint-Gobain Containers
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.