I am not a SQL server guy, nor do I play one on TV.  However, our SQL
Server guy is talking about how he wants to move the database for his apps
to our iSeries (an 830 that's about to be replaced by an even bigger
beast).  Says he's tired of dealing with clustering for reliability, and
it's not fast enough for him.

Mike E.

                      David Wright

                      <dwright@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:
"'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      >                           cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  iSeries vs. Unix
vs. SQL Server vs. Oracle
                      midrange-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      08/01/2003 01:20 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Hi All,

I need some feedback from the user community with regards to the platform
we intend to run our business on.

We are currently looking for a new ERP package to replace our current one,
and the company has narrowed the field to two choices:  One iSeries-based,
and one SQL Server-based.

Based on my experience, I have ALWAYS found the iSeries/400 to be more
reliable and more scalable than SQL Server...especially in enterprise level
tasks.

What have your experiences been with SQL Server?
How do you suggest I convince the non-tech people in the selection team?
Do you know of any good reference articles comparing the two platforms?

Earlier in the process, there were Unix & Oracle proposals too.  Both have
been sidelined for now, but feedback there would be nice as well.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,
David Wright