Gary,

When you say "I am trying to discover how much that really effects us." it's
difficult to answer without knowing what role "us" plays in the industry. If
you're concerned with HIPAA then it most likely effect you, but maybe not to
a large extent.

As others have pointed out, if you work for a covered entity, a provider,
payor, or one of the related entities, then it's a little[1] late to be
findout out about this. However, we have a product (no this is NOT a sales
pitch) for Institutional Review Boards where their involvement with
Protected Health Information (PHI) is ill-defined at best and the impact of
HIPAA is hard to determine. If you're on that side of HIPAA where you're
more of an innocent bystander impacted by the explosion, and not a direct
target of the bomb it's not that shocking that you're just finding out now.

If you can let us know more about what you do maybe we can point you in a
good direction. Also, get ready to spend money -- both for remediation and
for legal advice. As I was recently told, HIPAA was originally called FERAA
-- the Fair Employment Rights for Attorneys Act. <G>

-Walden

[1] "little" is dripping with sarchasim in this case. <G>

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11