I've never had to resize QSYSOPR, but there was a new system value added in
V4R4 called QCFGMSGQ, which moves many of the (usually) useless messages
from QSYSOPR to another message queue, which IBM supplies and curiously
calls QCFGMSGQ.

I am in the hotel, so I don't have the luxury of a system to play on.

See the following page from my COMMON presentation, "Everything You Always
Wanted to Know about System Values (but were afraid to ask)":

  Name:               QCFGMSGQ                                         V4
  R4.0

  IBM Initial Value:  'QSYSOPR QSYS'

  Length & Type:      Character:  20
                      Value is a list.

  Comments:           Two values are specified:
                          -    Message queue name.
                          -    Message queue library.

                      QCFGMSGQ is the system value that allows you to
                      specify a default message queue the system will use
                      when sending messages for lines, controllers and
                      devices.

                      For best overall system results, create the message
                      queue that is specified for this system value with
                      the following attributes:

                          FORCE(*NO) ALWALR(*NO) SIZE (8 32 *NOMAX)
MSGQFULL(WRAP)

                      A suggested change to the default is the message
                      queue QSYS/QCFGMSGQ, which is supplied by IBM, and
                      has the above characteristics.

                      A change to this system value takes effect when the
                      line, controller or device description that supports
                      the MSGQ parameter is varied on.

                      User must have *ALLOBJ, *SECADM and *IOSYSCFG
                      authority to change this system value.

Note the following admonition that I have regarding this change, when
suggesting system values that you might want to change:

System Values You Might Want to Change

 System       IBM Initial    Suggested     Reasoning for Change
 Value        Value          New Value

 QCFGMSGQ 'QSYSOPR QSYS'  'QCFGMSGQ QSYS'  This value will significantly
                                           reduce the number of message
                                           sent to the QSYSOPR message
                                           queue into a manageable number
                                           of messages.  The new message
                                           queue should only be consulted
                                           for problem resolution, while
                                           QSYSOPR should be kept in *BREAK
                                           mode during the day to deal with
                                           system problems.  Note that
                                           newly created writers will
                                           default their messages to this
                                           message queue which may not have
                                           the desired effect.

Al in Rochester - where it was 87 degrees today.

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      Jim Damato

                      <jdamato@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:
"'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      al.com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  QSYSOPR size

                      midrange-l-bounces@x

                      idrange.com

                      04/14/2003 03:31 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Has anyone ever had to resize QSYSOPR?  Our application software is
drowning
the operators message queue in meaningless messages.    The message full
action of *WRAP doesn't work when messages are hitting to fast to wrap.

I was gonna create a new message queue named QSYSOPRX in QSYS with either a
greater number of increments than QSYSOPR's or *NOMAX.  Then I was gonna
rename out the old QSYSOPR and rename in the new one, at a point in time
when I could log off the operators and get the queue out of *BREAK
delivery.

Seems kind of scary to me.  I'm wondering whether I'd regret setting up
QSYSOPR with size of *NOMAX.  I'm also wondering whether there's an easier
way to tweak the size of a message queue.

Any advice or warnings?  Much thanks in advance...

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation