From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 8:52 PM
Subject: RE: LINUX is the "one" ? .... Comments???

| I guess it takes a *nix-gearbrain-genius-type, like
Yourself James, to
| explain whether MySQL is fully-compliant or not with the
GPL.  No big deal
| to me, just corn-fusing.
|
| I mean, if the CUSTOMER gets to decide that the code is
non-GPL'd, then is
| the code GPL-compliant or not...???
|
| I, just so happens, AM familiar with different licence
terms, like the
| Software Subscription and licensing same product under
different terms.
| (That's a poor analogy, btw, and perhaps a better one
would be the
| interactive tax paid for same hardware.)  The question was
whether this
| MySQL actually IS GPL-compliant, or not, which interested
me...  And I'm not
| the only one who's noticed You practically need to be a
lawyer to try to
| imagine there's any sense a-tall amongst ALL the
HODGEPODGE of "Open" Source
| licenses.  http://www.stromian.com/Public_Licenses.html
(Dated, as there are
| probably dozens of new variants since '98.)
|
| Btw, James, I was glad to see You add the wink after this
statement: "Which
| clearly ties directly into innovation for some reason...
;)"  It CLEARLY
| ties directly into innovation INVERSELY, although I don't
think that was the
| point You were intending to make...;-)  And because "the
licensing entity
| can do it however they want" including, as a fundamental
"right", take any
| software (and ANYTHING that can be stored on a hard drive,
if RMS had His
| way about it) and give it away for free and the original
owner/producer of
| the software/article/music/whatever has NO economic
rights...  Well that
| disregards the reality that GOOD, USABLE, DOCUMENTED
software projects,
| (especially those that take more'n a weekend to complete),
cost a LOTTA time
| and money to develop..
|
| ..'Course, that doesn't ENTIRELY explain the preponderance
of lame software
| that comes outta MOST (not all) "Open" Source projects:
|
| "I know I'm not alone on this (I just may be the first one
saying it out
| loud). There are literally tens of thousands of dead
projects out there on
| Sourceforge. Made by geeks like me who had an itch to
scratch and cranked

http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/20030210.html#005532

| Btw, James, does coding "Open" Source put food on Your
table, and/or do You
| have a real job...???

James Rich
| | Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 7:18 PM
| | To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
| | Subject: RE: LINUX is the "one" ? .... Comments???
| |
| |
| | On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, jt wrote:
| |
| | > Is the same identical code for MySQL being distributed
as BOTH
| | non-GPL and
| | > GPL...??  How does THAT work???  Or what?
| |
| | Yes, the same identical code is licensed under different
licenses to
| | different users.  And honestly, this isn't so hard to
understand.  Almost
| | every software company, copyright holder, and patent
holder does this all
| | the time.  Ever heard of Software Subscription for the
iSeries?  If you
| | purchase it, you have one license.  If you don't, you
get another.  Or how
| | about Software Assurance?  Or how about licensing an
invention to one
| | company differently than to another?
| |
| | Mysql is no different.  They choose to license mysql to
most people under
| | the GPL.  If you so desire, you can get a different
license by purchasing
| | one.  IOW, they may choose to license the code however
they want to
| | whomever they want.  If the GPL doesn't work for your
product Mysql will
| | work with to use a license that does.
| |
| | This works because the GPL follows the same laws that
govern all software
| | licensing.  The licensing entity (whether an individual
or group or
| | company) can decide how to license their work and who to
license to.  If
| | you are not the licensing entity (which you aren't
unless you actually
| | authored the code) you cannot arbitrarily decide to
license the code
| | however you want.  This is true of all software.  Thus
if you receive
| | GPL'ed code you cannot violate it's terms and distribute
it under a
| | different license.  Likewise if you receive proprietary
code.  But the
| | licensing entity can do it however they want.
| |
| | Which clearly ties directly into innovation for some
reason...   ;)
| |
| | James Rich
| | Before posting, please take a moment to review the
archives
| | at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
| |