I'm not sure HOW innovative these would rate on a scale of 1 to 10...  Sure
should-a thought to mention VB (& VBA), since I still have a box of 1.0
around here somewhere.

But point is, it takes a RISK to be out in front-a the market more'n a small
step.  A lot don't pan out.

You haven't seen, and aren't gonna see, a lot of innovation outta companies
(especially big companies, and Linux is BIG BIZ no matter HOW "free" it is),
without profits to cover up for the risks that don't pan out.  Innovation is
a job for a weekend coder, either.

You wanna slew of truly GREAT innovations, some-a which may take many months
or years to develop, and You want the developer to work for free...?  And
the developer can make money selling consulting, education, and support for
the non-existant product...??  And if it doesn't pan out...???  Oh, then the
developer can go on the lecture-circuit...?

Guess I ain't quite seeing how this would work, but I see why it hasn't so
far.