Just my 2 Eurocents on this topic.

the old DDS-based file structure cannot be called relational in the context as
it used here to a RDB.

And it is my opinion that IBM did not renamed the old integrated RDBM system
within the OS to DB/2: IBM ported DB/2 to the AS/400. Because if the old RDBM
system and DB/2 are the same, why is not DDS enhanced with the new data types?

Calling the old RDBM of the AS/400 DB/2 is therefore a mistake, because DB/2
relies more on SQL than the old RDBM system.

With SQL you work with a database, which is a collection of tables. To get the
relationality between those tables you use referential integrity rules with
constraints and triggers.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.