One other point should be made.  Remember that in the calculations for the
Machine Pool and *BASE they want you to add memory for each of the spindles
on the machine and that could add up quick depending on how many drives are
being added.  Look at the expansion plan for DASD and then check out the
Info Center.  (Yes they have improved it and I use it every day) In the
Work Management section they will suggest how much extra memory is needed
for the drives added.  Also remember that if you add IOPs, that will call
for more as well.  While 8 gig sounds a bit excessive, you may wish to
consider doubling memory if you add sufficient drives to warrant it.

The formula is: S = M + J + L + F + D + guest partition(linux)
S = Total Machine Pool Size
M = Minimum Machine pool size(based on machine and release)
J  = Job Space
L  = Communications Space
F  = Functional Space
D  = Disk Space

They go on to say to use 64Kb for each of the first 64 drives on the system
and 20Kb for each additional drive.  So an 80 drive system will have:
(64 * 64kb) + (16 * 20kb) = 4416kb  just for the disk in the machine pool.
    Double the number of drives and the number goes up quick.

As for quadrupling the memory,   I don't see why at this point.

Jim Oberholtzer
Senior Technical Architect
Computech Resources, Inc.

IBM /I-B-M/
Once upon a time, the computer company most hackers loved to hate; today,
the one they are most puzzled to find themselves liking.
From:  www.tuxedo.org