>What your argument comes down to is this: everybody's doing cross-platform,
>object-oriented development, so I better do it too.

If you want to be part of a company that grows and offers return on
investment to its stockholders HELL YES!!!!!

>Congratulations!  You are now officially part of the server farm marketing
>hype!  But before I buy your platitudes lock, stock and barrel, let's do a
>little bit of due diligence:

Can I get paid for that?

>"People and companies vote with their feet."

>Yep.  Of course, these are the same people that bought stock in companies
>with sock puppets.  The most UNreliable marketing indicator on the planet
is
>what the "people" are doing, because they will change direction in a flash.
>Ask SSA about that.

Or the ones that believed IBM as OS/2, Smalltalk, Token Ring, OS/400...
ooppps I like the AS/400 :)

>"Most TCO stuff favoring the 400 is silly and stupid."

>Which part of uptime, reliability or scalability is stupid?  None of my
>clients think those things is stupid.  Maybe yours do.

What platforms dont offer uptime, reliability and scalability...the last
time I checked Google was a Linux app, it on a 400 now tooooooooooooo?

>"The reality says cross platform or obsolete."

>Bull.  Reality doesn't talk about much, and when she does, it's rarely
about
>something as mundane as platform specificity.  No, understand this single
>point: the people who say cross platform or obsolete are... (drum roll)...
>PEOPLE WHO SELL CROSS-PLATFORM.  Especially consultants with cheap labor
>forces.  Teach 'em once, pay 'em $25/hr, charge $75/hr.  What a world.

I work on an iSeries and firmly believe that our application software system
is obsolete, it does not mean that I believe it is not useful or that I am
going
to abandon it overnite.

>"Even games are this way!"

>I have to disagree with this statement.  Because there are tons of games
>released "for Playstation Only" or only for consoles, not PC.

Check again, to get an exclusive game requires big $$$ to the developers.
Anyone offering large $$$ to keep your code iSeries only?

>"It may be business logic but it sure won't be object oriented code."

>You say that as if it's a negative.  Object oriented code isn't somehow
>intrinsically better than procedural code.  In some cases, where code reuse
>is important, OO can be a benefit.  In other cases, such as those where the
>rules change often or need to be driven by a database, procedural code,
>especially the kind you can write with ILE RPG, is just as powerful, and
>often with a much quicker time to market, due to the heavy startup costs of
>a true OO project.

Not intrinsically better but there are many other advantages beyond code
reuse, especially when the code is derived from a flexible model. Most
"applications" on the iSeries get expressed a class behavior on other
platforms.

>I guess we disagree on what's important.  Somebody has convinced you that
>"object oriented" and "cross platform" are somehow requirements for
business
>development.  I continue to argue that such standards in general benefit
the
>consulting firms far more than they benefit the end user.  Perhaps I've
>overlooked some fact, but in general, I can't agree with any of your
>assertions.

Worked commercially on both in different development shops, OO is better.
Well crafted OO apps are consistent and extensible something most legacy
RPG apps have a hard time coming by.

We do love our 400s :)

Konrad