> From: Michael R
>
> This probably has no meaning to the experts, but I thought it was
> interesting. Did a monster.com search on java in Michigan - 106 hits. One
> looked like it might be java and as/400. Did a monster.com search
> on iseries
> or AS/400 or as400 in Michigan - 32 hits. So, unscientific as this is, it
> seems to me there are more java jobs than as/400-anything jobs.

I'm not arguing that RPG is a niche market.  But it could also at least
partially indicate that people are having a hard time filling those
positions.  Here's a typical Oracle DBA position:

-----
Working knowledge/experience with Oracle versions 8x and 9i, Oracle
Enterprise Manager, Oracle Parallel Server, Oracle Advance Security, Oracle
Developer, Oracle Designer, HTML, Java, C, C++, and PL/SQL.

Educational Requirements
Degree Preferred
Professional certifications also preferred
-----

Wow.  Not looking for much.  Okay, how about a Java architect?

-----
The successful candidate will possess proficiency with:

Model-Driven Architecture (MDA) Software Architecture, SDLC, UML, OOAD,
Domain Analysis, Domain Modeling Java, J2ME, J2EE, EJB, Servlets, JSP,
JavaScript,
JDBC, HTML UDDI, WSDL, XML, DOM, SOAP, Web Services Unified Process (RUP,
EUP) / Agile processes (XP, ASD, Scrum) / CMM AOP (Aspect-Oriented
Programming)
Knowledge of advanced C++ techniques a plus Ability to work independently as
well ability to mentor a team Ability to effectively communicate MDA
strategy
to technology staff, management and customers Minor travel required
-----

Gz Louise.

I'm betting that those positions stay vacant for a little while.

Whereas a typical senior RPG position is:

-----
Requirements: A minimum of 6 years in the development of applications.
Knowledge of RPG III (RPG IV or ILE also acceptable), CL, and SDA.
Well-developed diagnostic skills. Ability to deal with stressful situations
in a composed and constructive manner. Well-developed written and verbal
communication skills. Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Ability to handle a variety of tasks at one time.
-----

Hmm.  RPG, CL, SDA.  That's it.  They're able to focus on interpersonal and
written skills.  Whereas trying to find senior people in other languages,
you're lucky to find one with the technical qualifications, so you're likely
to be a little less choosy on little things like personality, demeanor and
so on.

Again, this is not necessarily the case.  Just wanted to provide an opposing
viewpoint.  The fact that there are lots of Java jobs out there doesn't mean
that there are lots of Java jobs for any of us.

Joe