Jim,

The restart (and the RCLSPLSTG command) will remove empty members from
the various physical files in QSPL.  I believe that the idea of
repetitive IPL's was accurate at one time, but is no longer true.  The
system is now designed to run without frequent IPL's so the housekeeping
is more automatic.

When you delete a spool file from your system, the file member which
contained that spool file remains on the system empty and is available
for reuse.  If you have a fairly stable number of spool files on your
system (you create about as many as you remove on a daily basis), then
you would get very little benefit from the IPL (or RCLSPLSTG).  If you
have a gazillion spool files, and then you delete a bunch of them, you
would get some benefit.

An easy test would be to run the RCLSPLSTG command with DAYS(*NONE).
This will remove all empty members (run in batch).  Check the size of
QSPL both before and after.  After executing the command, all of the
members contain spool files and the only way to get more space is to
delete spool files.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse