I do have a couple of questions before offering opinions;
What release of the OS are you on?
Do you do network printing to this printer also (IE:windoz)
How is the JetDirect card configured (if you have one that is configurable)

A quick explanation is it sounds like the AS/400 is "keeping" the printer
after the job is complete; which reverts back to timeout amounts being too
high,
this is only speaking from experience with configurable jetdirect cards,
and with HP or Lexmark printers; but ours had time out issues on both
the AS/400 and the NT network.

As another side note (my age is showing again - I forget which release -
v4r5
I think) you can now set-up your IP printer as a device, and gain more
control than using a remote outq (natively speaking)

HTH

Mark A. Manske

<<<snipit is below>>>