I care.

As for being racist, that's an easy label to slap on you if you've offended
their Pollyanna view of the world. When all is said and done, the only thing
that matters is what you've done with the talents God has given you. Case in
point:
My Dad's nickname is Redneck Robert. He made his living in the construction
business, having started as a grease monkey and working his way up into
management. When I started college in the fall of 1967, I was sort of a
liberal hippie type who thought the Humphrey Democrats were going to save
the world. I had the opinion that the only guys more right wing than my Dad
were Barry Goldwater and Spiro Agnew.

The summer of 1968 was a real eye-opener for me. My Dad arranged for me to
get a job with the company he worked for. Instead of some wimpy college boy
job my classmates were getting, he sent me 1,000 miles from home to shovel
concrete for the summer. That's when I started to learn things about my Dad
that he had never told us kids.

Things like the time he got into a fist fight with Jimmy Hoffa in 1955 over
Hoffa's refusal to let my Dad employ black truck drivers on the paving job
at the Ford proving grounds in Romeo, Michigan(Hoffa lost both fights).

Things like the program that my Dad had started in Minneapolis to provide
education, food and clothing for kids from the same ghetto neighborhood he
grew up in (a ghetto is a ghetto, no matter what your color). When he would
visit the company's job sites, he would pass the hat amongst the guys on the
job to help fund the program. He still contributes to that fund today(so do
I). I have learned over the years that he and some of his associates have
paid for the private school education of more than 30 kids from that
program. His "rat pack" places IBM laptops in schools in order to help kids
learn skills that will be useful in business later on.

One of the guys he grew up with was an Ojibwa Sioux Indian. That fellow
became the first non-white business agent of the cement mason's union after
my Dad (management, mind you) made a speech on his friend's behalf at a
national union meeting. This was the guy who gave my Dad the nickname
"Redneck" as a joke.

Things like the time my Dad publicly told the aforementioned Vice President
Agnew to take a flying f--- when Agnew "suggested" that a large campaign
contribution would guarantee a substantial amount of highway construction
contracts in the state of Maryland. This was part of a subtle effort to
minimize the amount of work being awarded to minority firms.

And on and on. I only hope that I am half as color blind as my Dad. I
personally don't care if somebody has purple skin and wears a tutu as long
as they give 40 hours of work for 40 hours pay, and doesn't spend all their
time complaining about their lot in life.

Proudly signed,
"Son of Redneck"

Paul Nelson
Braxton-Reed, Inc.