From: Pat Barber [mailto:mboceanside@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 7:59 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: 2838 10/100 Ethernet adapter full duplex mode

I could be wrong on this, but I don't believe that ethernet is
even remotely capable of doing "full duplex".

Ethernet is a "collision technology" and while all these
little buttons and lights might say "full duplex", they
are just kidding you.

"Full Duplex" requires a dedicated line between boxes that
will allow "send & receive" at the same time. I don't believe
you ever have that situation using ethernet...

I am speaking about "full duplex" regarding AS/400's only, not
pc networks or internet connections. In my opinion, you have
to have a full four wire connection to have "full duplex".

I don't believe that can be done with two stands of twisted pair.

This might just be "nit picking" but I see the term "full duplex"
used incorrectly quite often.

Here is a tiny story on the whole deal:

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/1487/2/