Rob,

Debating you is fun.

I definitely would NOT run Linux on the iSeries, but IBM says
it is the way to go and they are always right.

I am looking forward to our new iSeries coming in so I can experience
the wonderful reliability, enhanced performance and all those additional
features (bugs) that everyone else but me seems to appreciate. I
unfortunately just appreciate it when things work. By the way, for
those considering upgrading, IBM has a new policy to potentially
allow you to keep the old system and install the latest OS if you
agree to use it as a disaster recovery backup (for $0). :)

Waiting did help since the total package is about 33% in $$ of what it
would have been 6 months ago with lots of free stuff thrown in.
Still probably 75% more than a non-proprietary system but proprietary
is good right?

On reliability, my experience since 1980 is that System 38s/400s and now
iSeries is at best average. Our current mix of servers has only one with
a maintenance contract, guess which one...  The other servers, including
AIX boxes just don't break or if they do cost little to repair. The biggest
leap in technology and reliability on the 400 came when IBM adopted PC
card tech and moved away from the point to point wired wonders that
inhabited
the original boxes.

Is there any advantage to IBM disk drives on iSeries vs any drive on Unix or
Win2k,
not really. The only system I have seen with disk related issues in the past
few years has been the iSeries. I am encouraged that IBM is adopting more of
the PC based
technology into the iSeries and dropping the prices as they go. Now if I can
just
get one with windows on the side, extra fans, water cooling and those neat
neon
internal lights everything will be spiffy.

On the best OS issue, I am torn between DEC's VAX VMS system and Pick OS.
Somehow the VAX managed to do with 120 commands what it took OS/400 3000
to do. And with RDB thrown in was a wonderful robust business platform.
Pick OS with its built in database still can do things the iSeries cannot
even imagine doing. I would classify OS/400 as the best multi-user,
multi-tasking
system tho. Apple OS X has the best long term potential of all the current
contenders.

Divsersity in systems allows choice.

Konrad