From: Buck Calabro [mailto:Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 2:42 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: 5.1 upgrade

>Clearly people would upgrade and pay substantial
>amounts for software subscription if they were
>getting value out of it.

Working for a software vendor, I can tell you that this is simply not true.
People treat software very differently from other assets of the business. No
business I know would remotely think that they have to buy a truck just once
and never replace it.  But these same businesses revolt at paying an upgrade
or support fee for software.  It matters not one whit that their entire
business runs on iSeries and on our software, and that their business would
literally stop if the iSeries went down or our software stopped working.  We
have had customers stop paying support because they simply didn't see the
value in paying to have us here to answer questions and fix problems and
enhance the software.  Our software is just as critical to their operations
as electric power.  Oddly enough, they never think of 'going off support'
from the power company.

I think the different treatment software receives is because it is simply
not a large physical thing like a warehouse, truck or a forklift.  If we
delivered our software in dump trucks I think our customers would be happier
to pay for it.
  --buck