Andy's right.  I told you the iSeries method just to see if anyone ever
registered the DNS there.  You need to do the W2K thing on your PC to see
the address of your DNS and/or WINS server.  If you do not have a DNS entry
on your PC it is time to get all your network people to sit down and
powwow.
First item of discussion:  Does anyone know if we have a Domain Name
Server?  If so, what is the address of the DNS?  Now, I want to record this
DNS entry on each and everyone of our PC's.  While they are doing this I
want them to inspect the host tables of each and everyone of our PC's and
make sure that this entry is in the DNS and remove it from the host table
of that PC.  Then we will record this DNS entry on the 400 so that if it
needs to initiate communications to others it can use the DNS entry.  Now,
if we do not have a DNS then we ARE going to get one.  We can set it up any
number of ways.
1)  Set it up on a NT or W2K server.  Use a dedicated server for your DNS
box.  wintel solutions don't tolerate doing multiple things well.
2)  The iSeries supports DNS.  You can set it up using Operations
Navigator.
3)  I have no idea how to set it up via linux but I had to mention it for
the linux proponents on the list.  No, I am NOT asking how.  If the
requestor wants to know how HE can ask.  Don't flood the list yet.
Once we have a DNS set up then we will do the aforementioned PC cleanup of
DNS entries and host table entries.

Have at it.

Benjamin Franklin

                    "Andy
                    Nolen-Parkhouse"          To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    <aparkhouse@attbi.c       cc:
                    om>                       Fax to:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     RE: Help!  Network
no longer recognizes AS/400 hostname
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    03/13/2002 05:01 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

> Rob,
>
> > iSeries:
> > CFGTCP
> >  12-Change TCP/IP domain information
> >   Domain name server
>
> Hmm, ours says *NONE.  If I put the name server address in here, that
> tells
> the name server to recognize the name of the AS/400 and resolve it to
the
> correct IP address?

Rick,

That server would allow programs on the AS/400 to resolve names to
addresses; it would not cause the AS/400 to be listed in the DNS.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse