On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Leif Svalgaard wrote:

> From: James Rich <james@eaerich.com>
> > I can think of some very good reasons.  Suppose that linux and OS/400 can
> > be made to be about equally reliable (my experience is that they are when
> > using suitable hardware).  Many smaller businesses cannot afford an
> > iSeries.  But linux is within their reach
>
> alternatively, IBM could lower the price of small baby iSeries to
> make them competitive.

True, though I wonder how far IBM can really lower the price.  A very good
and reliable linux server can be run on the Intel platform.  Let's assume
that the same disks, network, and disk controllers can be used on both an
Intel platform and the iSeries platform (unlikely since I keep hearing
about IOPs that are in hardware on the iSeries).  Because of the high
volume of Intel platform motherboards and CPUs, an Intel system will cost
less that an iSeries system.  So based only on hardware, IBM can't produce
an iSeries that will be competitive with an Intel based system.  This is
simply because there isn't as high a volume of PowerPC fabs as there are
x86 fabs.

When considering software, it is hard to beat a $5-$90 CD with your
favorite linux distribution on it.  It is even harder to beat a free
download.  IBM needs to charge significant dollars for the OS to make back
on their investment - otherwise they will just dump it as any investor
would.  IBM can only lower the price so far - Miscrosoft ain't giving away
their OS for free and IBM isn't about to, either.

So if competitive means 'similarly priced' then IBM can't match a well put
together linux system running on the Intel platform.  Interesting how
IBM's new eSeries line fits into this.  By making linux run on every one
of their machines IBM guarantees that they *will* be able to compete at
every hardware price level.

But people don't (so the saying goes) by hardware platforms and operating
systems, they buy applications.  If there were an RPG compiler for linux
then our applications would also run at every hardware price level, thanks
to IBM.  I don't want to sell people an iSeries, I want to sell them my
application.  Of course, since my application is written in RPG then an
iSeries is a prerequisite, but it need not be.

Besides, I would love to see my apps run on some really big iron from Sun
- I can see it now, "Tired of running climate simulations?  How about some
heads-down data entry!" :^)

James Rich
james@eaerich.com