> > alternatively, IBM could lower the price of small baby iSeries to
> > make them competitive.

ibm did just lower the model 250 by about 30%
but this box way too small for Linux

<clip from The Four Hundred newsletter Feb 18>
(but I have not yet found the real ibm announcement & ibm prices on web
don't yet match this)
With last week's announcements, these machines are available as the Model
250 entry and growth configurations, with four times the disk capacity, but
for $4,800 and $8,300, respectively. This is a considerable price cut--35
percent on the entry configuration and 25 percent on the growth
configuration--and one that IBM is probably not happy making. It is also
probably an admission by IBM that the Model 250 was overpriced for the past
18 months. The other interesting price change is that IBM has eliminated
monthly maintenance charges on the entry Model 250 (which used to be $84 a
month on the regular 250-2295) and has dropped maintenance on the growth
Model 250 to $11 a month, down from $95 a month for the 250-2296. These
maintenance prices are way out of line with the entry-server market, and IBM
seems to be conceding this.
</clip>
jim