Just to play "Devil's Advocate":

I'm was talking about a **production 400 system**, in my post below.  OTOH,
there are other ways to experiment with this, in other environments.

Sometimes it helps to approach a problem tangentially, meaning, not directly
head-on.  (Now I'm pre-supposing an actual **business need** to do something
like this, whereas follow-on posts indicated that wasn't so, in the
particular case of the original question.)

IF (big if) I had a business need to try something like this, I'd first see
if the system could run WITHOUT a SYSLIBL.  If I wasn't working on a
production computer, I'd consider experimenting with seeing if jobs could
run with only having entries in the USER portion of the *LIBL.  AFAIK,
there's nothing unique about the system, product, and *CURLIB portions of
the library list.  Just that they're always prior to the user portion.  So
this experiment would put all libraries on an equal footing, in the USRLIBL.
Which just eliminates a variable to deal with.

Now IF that worked, I'd consider (again, NOT on a production computer)
playing with the order of the system libraries.  At that point, I'd expect
the system to tank, but would have a fallback plan, prepared just for that
expected possibility.

IOW, I'm not opposed to experiementing with something, per se, IF there's
some possible business justification from the experimentation, and IF that's
in line with the risk and time involved in the experiment.

jt

| |
| |
| |
| | If you attempt to "run" a command from QSYSV4R4M0, you get a diagnostic
| | message CPD0118, and an escape message of CPF0001.  My thought
| is that if
| | you attempted to put this library higher in your library list that QSYS,
| | you likely might crater your system.  Anyone have thoughts????
| |
| | Al
| |
| | Al Barsa, Jr.
| | Barsa Consulting Group, LLC
| |
| | 400>390
| |
| | 914-251-1234
| | 914-251-9406 fax
| |
| | http://www.barsaconsulting.com
| | http://www.taatool.com
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |                     "jt" <jt@ee.net>
| |                     Sent by:                  To:
| | <midrange-l@midrange.com>
| |                     midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
| |                     drange.com                Subject:     RE:
| | Modify SYSVAL QSYSLIBL
| |
| |
| |                     12/16/01 11:59 PM
| |                     Please respond to
| |                     midrange-l
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Frank,
| |
| | You wrote, "IBM should prevent the backwards compatibility libs getting
| | into
| | the SYSLIBL."
| |
| | Ya...  I'd say I agree with that...!  Can users implement this through
| | security if IBM doesn't.  RVKOBJAUT, but then you need a program that
| | adopts, to run compiles...  Kludge...?  (Which I pronounce
| kloooodge...;-)
| |
| | jt
| |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | only.
| | |

| | way
| | problem that was

| | |
| | | I dont have a reason as such. One of our programmers
| | | modified a jobs *LIBL (system portion) with CHGSYSLIBL.
| | | Could not even do a SYS REQ cancel, or SIGNOFF.
| | | It is simply something that is very easy to do and
| | | I suspect will disable the AS400.
| | | IBM should prevent the backwards compatibility libs
| | | getting into the SYSLIBL.
| | |
| | | Frank Kolmann
| |
| | Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
| | at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
| |
| |
| |