To bring this back to an iSeries discussion, why doesn't someone (IBM)
propose
to the Navy to run the Win2k on the most reliable platform, an iSeries?

one last joke - can you say "server farm" on a ship?  maybe "server convoy?"

btw -back in '98 when the ship floated for 3 hours, there were a number of
articles
and discussions posted on the net. What is missing from some articles is
that
it did take a reboot of NT to recover from a divide by zero buffer overflow.
It's been
a couple years, but I saw some of the Navy's discussion of this on their
public web sites.
Found all of this from y2k research. Like any other Gov procurement, once a
decision
was made, nobody will dare stand up to challenge it.

jim


----- Original Message -----
From: "Buck Calabro" <Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2001 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: US Navy bets on Win2K


> The slam on Windows is a bit inaccurate.
>
> Yorktown was running NT 4.0 alright, but it was a prototype version of the
> application software that crashed, not NT.  It wasn't NT that brought the
> propulsion system down, it was the propulsion software, and THAT failed
> because the prototype wasn't validity checking the input, causing a divide
> by zero.
>
> Interested readers can peruse a more even handed article on this issue at
> http://www.sciam.com/1998/1198issue/1198techbus2.html   Please bear in
mind
> that everywhere (even the Navy) there are rarely "discussions" about which
> OS is best; there are often political turf wars.  This incident appears to
> be one of them, as the main opposition to NT appears to be another vendor
> who wants to offer a Unix solution.
>
> The only reason I care is because I've been the personal target of
managers
> blaming the AS/400 for application software faults.  We lost a sale
because
> somebody at the potential client had a vague recollection that "OS/400
> sucked at journalling."  No data to back that feeling up, but what
> difference does that make in a religious argument?  This'll be my last on
> the subject, but we'd better learn how to adopt Windows technology _where
it
> makes sense_ rather than mutter about the blue screen of death ad nauseam
> and show the sign of the evil eye to ward it off.  Like it or not, Windows
> is here and it's not going away.  It's on the corporate desktop and in the
> server farm.  They have stuff we can take advantage of, to lever ourselves
> and our platform into organisations.  We are NOT going to do that by
making
> wisecracks about the sysadmin's choice of system to her boss.
>
> Isn't that very wisecracking of misinformation what's dogging the iSeries?
> We'd be better off showing off how well we play with Windows than trying
to
> show how poor Windows is.  Just my opinion, and it's worth every penny you
> all paid for it!
>   --buck
> _______________________________________________
> This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
list
> To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/cgi-bin/listinfo/midrange-l
> or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@midrange.com
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
>




As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This thread ...

Follow-Ups:
Replies:

Follow On AppleNews
Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2022 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact [javascript protected email address].

Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.