On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:11:29 -0500
 "Reeve Fritchman" <reeve@ltl400.com> wrote:
> A larger box costs more because it will support more
> users;

That's just one point of view, and it fits your model as a
vendor.  You're assuming too much and that more users are
what makes a bigger box a requirement.  While partially true
(more in the past than today), today's software like Bloatus
Notes and Websphere require bigger machines if you want any
sort of decent performace from them.

> Is taking advantage of the fact that one company is
> bigger than another bad?

You answered your own question.  "Taking advantage..."

> price for OS/400 as my customers.  Regardless of whether
> you like it or not,
> tiered pricing is a fact of economic life.  Making an
> emotional argument
> doesn't work against for forces of business, finance,
> economics, and Federal
> income taxes (not that I wouldn't like a flat tax!).

It's not emotional, it's a logical point of view from a
customer who views it, even as you admitted, as taking
advantage of those with bigger machines.  If it were a fact
of business, everyone would do it.  And, obviously from
response from some vendors, not everyone does.  Only those
who do it and need it as a source of income defend it.

Anyhow, this thread is dead.  I'm done.  (Yes, reply
"finally" if you want, but remember that's also just wasting
bandwidth.. <bg>)

Brad