Basit, did Microsoft "force" you to upgrade your 386 hardware when you
wanted to upgrade from Win 3.1x to Win95?  May I suppose that your 436
was resource-utlized fully at V4R3 but still had acceptable performance?
And, so, you upgrade to V4R5 and now the utilization is tipped over the
capacity for your 436?  Is there *any* OS upgrade out there (all
vendors) that does *not* take more resources to operate than the
previous levels?

"every hour"?  Hyperbole.  If you expect any OS to go without any fixes,
then you're living in Utopia.  So you don't like all the PTFs in a
brand-spanking new release?  Wait for it to stabilize.  Jeez, I've got a
V4R3 production system with *zero* PTFs applied, it's running base code.
When I first saw this, I was shocked, but the darned thing had been
running in production for over a year with ZERO problems.  Even with all
the PTFs coming out in V5 (and is this really any worse than for
previous releases?), I'd take OS/400 hands-down any day over any
MicroS*it product.  There's NO comparison!

If you truly need to be 24x7, then it doesn't matter *how* stable the OS
is, you're gonna need some kind of HA/mirrored solution.  Period.

Dan Bale
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company
248-362-4400  Ext. 4952