From: Buck Calabro [mailto:Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 3:05 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Interesting Assertions on W2K Stability
To bring this back on topic for the 400, would an LPARd machine running V5R1
and V4R5 be able to avoid the single point of failure problem, or would you
really need two separate cabinets?  Take destruction of the machine room by
fire, flood or other catastrophe out of the equation for the purposes of
this discussion.

I believe that the number one cause of failure in modern computing systems
is not hardware (cheap or not) but software.  No, I cannot back this up with
published numbers, but I seem to recall far more fixpacks to repair a given
issue than I recall a hardware replacement.  The recent disk drive scare is
an exception to the norm.
  --buck