My partner and I are considering the purchase of a model 270. Here are some
of the numbers we are being quoted:

The base price, basically just for the cpu:
270-2248 ( 150 cpw, 25 interactive cpw, P5 software group )  $6,800
270-2432 ( 1070 cpw, 0 interactive, p10 software group )  $10,700

The base price for these models does not include any minimum dasd or memory.
Here are some hardware feature prices:

3022 128MB main storage $1024
4317 8GB dasd $1400
4582 4GB qic tape $1300
4838 100MBPS ethernet $900
4525 CD-ROM $415

Extended maintenance ( not sure what that is )
270-2248 $111 per month
270-2432 $268 per month

Software
5722-WDS Websphere dev studio    P5 - $3650    P10 - $8200
5733-SM2 prepay software subscription  P5 - $1168   P10 - $3893

Grand total
Forget the 10,700 and 6,800 base number. The 2248 is close to $20,000 and
the 2432 is over $28,000.
( not counting hardware and software support )

Some comments and questions:

The only difference between hardware prices of the different model 270's is
in the cpu. That looks to be about $4000.  So the P5 2248 ( 150/25 cpw ) is
$14,500 for hardware vs $17,900 for the P10 2432 ( 1070/0 cpw ).

The extended hardware maintenance looks to be a hidden charge on the faster
2432.  $268 per month vs $130 on the 2248.

What is the story with WebSphere?  This is a real show stopper. Looks like
the only way to get rpg ile is to pay $8200 for the total 5722-WDS package!!
Is that true?

Do we need, have to get the $3893 software subscription?   We are local
contract programmers and could live with v5r1 for the life of the system.
Will an upgrade to v5r2 be another $10,000 without it?

No way do I want to pay $415 for a cd rom drive and $1300 for a tape drive.
Any alternatives?

Thanks,

Steve Richter