  • Subject: Re: Need feedback on 6386 tape drive.
  • From: Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:16:19 -0400

If you want a faster QIC unit, look at the 6387 (OK - 4587).

                Capacity        Data Transfer Rate
6381             2.5GB          0.6MB/sec
6382/4582        4GB            0.76MB/sec
6385            13GB            1.5MB/sec               (can also handle
the MLR1-16GB tapes)
6383/4583       16GB            1.5MB/sec
6386/4586       25GB            2.0MB/sec
4587            50GB            5.0MB/sec

or look at the LTO Ultrium external unit
3580            100GB           15.0MB/sec

Note - All uncompressed numbers, double all the above figures with data
compression.
Smaller systems won't be able to drive the 3580 at max compressed speed of
30MB/sec.
Some may even have trouble keeping up with the 4587's compressed rate of
10MB/sec.

...Neil

rob@dekko.com
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com