  • Subject: Re: backups on AS/400, objects
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 16:03:00 -0400

Well, I'm not sure that you were actually asking anything, but here goes...

If you're wondering how to determine where the source is for a compiled
program, use DSPPGM.  It shows the date & time the source was last changed
when the program was compiled, and I would use that to verify against the
source member's date & time last updated.  Note that there is no *absolute*
guarantee that source matches the program object if the timestamps match,
although for this to happen would require it to be done deliberately
(maliciously?).  But also note the opposite as well; it is possible for the
source to match the program object even if the timestamps are different.  It
would be nice to be able to have a command that would take a program object
name and a source file/member name for parameters and return a yea or a nay
for a match.  As I see it, it would require that the source be compiled to
QTEMP and the resulting program object would be compared to the program object
that you're trying to match to the source.  A few years ago, I tried comparing
the outputs of DMPOBJ's for two such program objects that I knew were compiled
from the same source, but there were differences.  Some I'm sure due to the
creation date & time, or the library it was compiled to, stuff like that.
Maybe the MI gurus know?

Second, if the CL program is observable (also shown on DSPPGM), you can run
RTVCLPGM on the program object to produce the source code from the object.
It's very bare, all the comments in the original source are lost, and it's
very difficult to read (well, as compared to how *I* format my CL source
nowadays), but it's great to have in a pinch.

Opinion:  I'm getting the idea from your posts that you're not a programmer
experienced on the AS/400.  Quite frankly, if you don't know what you're doing
in CL, you may be setting your company up for a disaster fiddling with your
backup.  Can your company survive not having a complete backup if something
happens to your system?  If you say yes, you must be also able to say that you
have tested your backups to verify that they are complete.  Why not just do a
SAVE 21 and be safe with that?  Having said all that, most AS/400 shops I've
seen have never tested their backups in a DR situation, mine included.  Our
company has been starting to get aggressive in this area and I expect that we
will soon be asked to test our DR strategy.

- Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company