  • Subject: backups on AS/400, objects
  • From: D.BALE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 15:25:00 -0400

Al may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the GO BACKUP menu is old and
kept there purely for the sake of backwards compatibility.  The new, preferred
menu to use for backup is GO SAVE.  Whether or not the backup options from the
BACKUP menu are as complete as the SAVE menu's options, I have no idea.  "SAVE
21" is the lazy man's way to indicate option 21 on the SAVE menu, which is
used to save the ENTIRE system.  It is my general understanding that this is
the backup that saves ABSOLUTELY everything on the system that can be saved.
If your drives melted one night right after a SAVE 21, you could use the SAVE
21 backup to get everything back up and running (well, you'd also need your
MULIC tape in that situation, but it's pretty much assumed that everyone knows
where theirs is, right? <g>)

>This was interesting, turns out the backup was really just using the command
> on the BACKUP menu (see my other post today..) running thru Job Scheduler

How did you determine this?  Does the option on the BACKUP menu put the job on
the Job Scheduler?

I know there's a way to get at the source code behind the SAVE 21 app, and
maybe the other options on the SAVE menu, but I forgot where it is (jeez, Al
just now told me that it is retrievable via RTVCLPGM QSYS/QMNSAVE; how's that
for service, eh?)  You may also want to check out the Backup & Recovery guide
for a section titled "What the Save Menu Options Do" (section 2.2.1 in the
V4R4 softcopy); it shows you the names of the IBM-supplied programs that you
can retrieve the CL source for, as well as the major commands used for each
option.  Al reminded me that the source for these is not "CL 101" class
material.

I apologize if I have misunderstood your writings (they are a little too
rambling for my short attention span <g>), but I would strongly emphasize
that, even if you are God's gift to S/36 OCL, AS/400 CL programming is
different enough that you can get in trouble if you don't know what you're
doing, especially with an extremely important function such as backup.  You
were a guru on saving and recovering on a S/36?  Congratulations, but you
wouldn't touch my backup & recovery strategy with a ten-foot pole in my shop
with the level of AS/400 experience which you professed to earlier.  I
appreciate that you've got an "accomplished" programmer to help you gauge your
backup, but quite frankly, programmers who are not *responsible* for systems
management (you didn't say whether he was) do not normally have the requisite
knowledge for dependable AS/400 backup and recovery.

All in all, I would suggest you (and everybody with that responsibilty) to
commit to memory the Backup and Recovery guide.  Well, of course no one has,
but you get the idea.  Ignorance on the subject of backup can kill you when it
comes time to use it and you haven't done it properly.  On *any* platform.

- Dan
Dan Bale says "BAN DALE!"
IT - AS/400
Handleman Company